Search This Blog

Monday, August 29, 2011

A hair story and reflection in a minor


I am sort a reflecting. I was thinking about when I met you. Do you know that when I met you my heart got re-calibrated.  Reading your book gave me a sense of womanhood.  I had been carrying myself like a child.  I have always had an adult mindset.  My grandmother took care of me when I was younger, I do not know if that makes my soul old, lol.  I went to Catholic church with my grandmother and hung around her old lady friends, lol and I heard what old ladies talk about. 

Any hoo, I think there is a new kind of old lady emerging. Older women are redefining old age and what it supposed to be and what it looks like.  

My heart was re-calibrated when you began to talk about "men opening the door for women."  Prior to meeting you, I had sat under the wisdom of a teacher who pursued an alternate lifestyle.  We read Audre Lord, Bell Hooks, and so on.  I read a bit of feminist stuff.  (Women can be feminist and draw a conclusion not to have a mother's love and take on manly traits denying the beauty of womanhood.  Do feminist try to prove a point to men that do not need to be proven) I remember having a class discussion facilitated by the instructor and was lead to the conclusion that holding the door was not a man thing nor a woman thing that either a man or a woman could do it.  It became truth for me. In essence, perhaps I expected to hold the door for a man.  

I do not know if I should say loved, but I really loved that teacher. She had a beautiful soul and she dressed nicely.  She styled her natural hair in a most beautiful way.  I had always known that some of our people hate our hair.  I walked out of her classroom with a greater love for my natural hair and expecting to hold the door for a man.  (I try to capture a love for my natural hair, whether a woman chooses to wear it as such or not, in the book that I wrote. You know the publishing process takes time.)

No comments:

Post a Comment